We rented This is 40 at my insistence because I thought it would be a slam dunk with Leslie Mann, Paul Rudd and the bonus of a little Melissa McCarthy. These folks are all comic geniuses in my book, and I assumed I was in for another comedy like these favorites of mine: Bridesmaids, The Change-up, Horrible Bosses, and the Wedding Crashers. But oh my wasted time no! I think it’s a stretch to even consider it a comedy. I spent the majority of the movie cringing at the relationship at the center of it. Why is this couple staying married when they seem to barely tolerate each other’s existence? There was maybe some valid insight into parenting a teenager — and I’m quite reasonably terrified of that approaching doom, but the other relationships in the movie didn’t seem to be based on anything I’ve ever seen in real life. Fortunately I was rewarded for slogging through the entire movie with the Melissa McCarthy hilarity while the end credits rolled.
I hate it when I happen to channel surf into ‘Baby Boom’ because it means I’m about to lose some time and work on some sofa sores. I’m incapable of turning it off. Fortunately they don’t seem to run it very often so that is helpful from a productivity standpoint. There are other movies that cause me to groan and accept that the next couple of hours are going to be spent in the most useless way possible. After all, I’ve already seen the movie, so it’s pretty annoying that I am unable to resist watching it AGAIN! Here are only a few of my many favorites that cable evilly sprinkles across the airwaves to ensure that I never quite have the productive weekend I plan. What are your weaknesses? Please tell me you have some??!!?
- ‘A Fish Called Wanda’ – Everybody’s at the top of their game in this one.
- ‘Bedazzled’ – There are one or two scenes in this one that, even after many viewings, still make me laugh so hard my stomach hurts.
- ‘Bull Durham’ – Good Kevin Costner.
- ‘Christmas Vacation’ – It’s fortunate this one is seasonal.
- ‘The Holy Grail’ or ‘The Meaning of Life’ – These are almost never on, so special allowances must be made! I cannot wait to share these with the kids.
- ‘Megamind’ – We own this and yet I’m still compelled to watch it every time it’s on cable. Seriously.
- ‘The Princess Bride’ – The kids adored it, and my heart grew two sizes that day.
And, of course, there are many more. Too many more to name. I’ll post this and think how in the world could I have forgotten these other 15 movies.