In honor of the triumphant return of ‘Arrested Development’ later this month, I’m reminiscing about some of my favorite moments from previous seasons. In a show this consistently hilarious, it’s impossible to pick only a few favorites, so this is a fool’s exercise.
- My favorite episode is ‘Pier Pressure‘ with its non-stop hilarity: J. Walter Weatherman, Hot Cops, Maeby being singed by her Gangy’s brittle wit, and that scene between G.O.B. and Michael when G.O.B. is partaking of the spoils but tries to hide it by claiming it’s cold outside. Sure it is, G.O.B. Sure it is.
- Jason Bateman’s a terrific straight man. His reactions are always perfectly calibrated to maximize the humor in the scene. If, like in this one, he needs to be understated, he is. If, like in this one, he needs to give it a little something extra, he does. Watch out for that cornballer.
- G.O.B. is my favorite with his unsuccessful magic tricks, his ridiculous chicken dance and his pet Segway. But especially his “COME ON!” bit.
- Lucille makes every scene better. She can be hilariously raunchy in addition to condescending and haughty. It’s a great combination. Some of my favorite quotes:
- I would cry, but I can’t spare the moisture.
- I don’t understand the question, and I won’t respond to it.
- Not as much as you enjoyed yours [meal]. You want the belt to buckle, not your chair.
- They’re just heels, honey. They can only support so much weight.
- Oscar says that this walk, “Recharges his chi.” I call it, “An excuse for him to score more pot and wave his ass at the co-eds.”
- For all of Lucille’s great lines, Tobias really scores the most with his signature awkward phrasing.
- I love that they always did the “On the next… Arrested Development” bit at the end of the show where they would run fake promos.
Check out some of the best running jokes including the chicken dance mentioned above.